As I make preparations for the big move to Washington, DC in October, I’d like to take a moment to thank a number of people who have made my 22-year tenure in Portland an amazing experience. These include my colorful colleagues at Wally’s Music, the talented musicians with whom I’ve had the opportunity to play, my dedicated students, my family, my good friends, as well as my many, long-term, loyal clients. Here are a few highlights:
Nuttiest day in the shop:
- When “Landlord Dave” almost blew us up with a cobbled-together blow torch.
- The PIG!
Most memorable shows:
- Main Stage at the Mount Hood Festival of Jazz.
- Oregon Symphony Pops with Norman Leyden, one of the most dedicated
musicians I’ve known.
- Art Abrams, Woody Hite, Carlton Jackson Dave Mills Big Band, and many others.
Closest gig calls:
- Splitting my pants wide open before the downbeat of Regis Philbin Show.
- One interesting night at Duff’s Garage with the Lily Wilde Big Band.
Great student moments:
- Cool hand Nick nailing it at the Oregon State Solo Competition while his dad and I
were biting our nails. He won 5th that year.
- Tim finally playing forte and sounding awesome!
Many fond memories will stay with me as I begin this new chapter in my life. I invite you to follow my blog as I carve out a niche in the DC Metro area in instrument repair, trumpet performance and private instruction. Thanks again for your camaraderie and I look forward to keeping in touch.