Marcus brought this unfortunate horn into the shop, sheepishly explaining that he fell onto his trumpet while horsing around in the band room. This reinforces a couple of my repair tech principles: gig bags are dent bags and humans can be a horn’s worst enemy.
First I had to remove the bell. Notice the dents in several locations. The biggest one in the bore of bell is compeletely closed, metal to metal. The entire bell is bent downward and the bell tail is badly bent and dented. YIKES!
One closer look and I became particularly curious about an old repair at the receiver and leadpipe.
Curiouser and curiouser…
Ah-ha, Oh Boy! Underneath the receiver was a huge hole and crack, due to poor maintenance over the life of the horn, which can cause degradation of the brass, known as RED ROT.
The only solution was to replace the lead pipe assembly.
I checked for the alignment of the new pipe prior to the removal of the old one. I straightened the tuning slide, making sure the inner tubes were parallel and on the same plane.
Then I removed the old lead pipe and reshaped all the braces. Time to reassemble.
Moral of the story: Next time, use a hard case!